Recently we carried out our first Contractor Attitude Survey and we’d like to say “Thank you” to all of the SJD Accountancy clients who took part. This is the first of our new national bi-annual surveys which went our to over 11,000 SJD Clients, and well over 1,000 clients took the time to answer the survey.
The survey is packed full of opinions and views on the current contractor market as well as attitudes on the general outlook, including Daily rates, Contract extensions, Average contract duration and Affects of contracting on work/life balance, as well as Views on moving from permanent to contracting, to name a few.
Some of the highlights of the survey are:
- 57% found contracting has improved their work/life balance
- 77% found to have a higher job satisfaction when contractor compared to being an employee
- Two thirds of contractors saw the state of the contracting market to be positive
- Over three quarters of contractors feel positive about the general outlook, despite just under a third had seem a decrease in rates in the last six months.
- 47% of contractors haven’t seen a change in their daily rate over the last 6 months.
- 76% don’t miss the benefits of being an employee, such as sick pay.
Commenting on all of the survey findings, Simon Dolan, our Managing Director, said:
“We are delighted that so many of our clients took the time to complete the survey, and we have been pleased to be able to pass the findings back to them, to help them feel more a part of the contractor community in which they work.
The statistics we have gathered clearly show that the contracting industry is still doing well and that this way of life offers huge benefits for people who choose to step away from full time employment – preferring a more flexible and rewarding way of life instead.”
Whether for higher rates of pay, flexibility and freedom or a better work/life balance, more than 75% of those surveyed chose contracting as their way of life, while 75% stated that they did not miss the benefits of being an employee. So this is certainly some food for thought if you’ve ever doubted the the contractor way of life or are thinking of leaving your full-time position to become a self employed contractor.
A full breakdown of the survey results can be found at: http://www.sjdaccountancy.com/news/contractor_attitude_survey_results.html
Meanwhile, the next survey will be released in January.